Marjorie Ann McClure
I am a native of Utah.
Received my BFA and M.Ed. at the University of Utah. Taught drawing, painting and A.P. Drawing and Painting for 32 years in Jordan School District.
Adjunct faculty at the University of Utah for eight years.
Encaustic painting is a new medium in my world.
Enkaustikos is a Greek word meaning to burn in. Encaustic
was used by the Romans to preserve portraits and ancient artwork.
Working with wax is intimate, tactile, and gestural. You mix
color, paint, and pour the wax; using heat you melt and fuse the surface. Working the method of encaustic demands patience. The reward is color suspended between layers of beeswax. The finished work has depth and is luminescent.
EDUCATIONAL HONORS & AWARDS
High School Art Teacher of the Year 2007, Utah Institutions of Higher Education. Springville Museum of Art Jurors Award 1991.
Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers 1994-2003-2006
Teacher of the Year Brighton High School 1990-91Outstanding Educator, Jordan Council of PTS. 1990-91
Educator of the Month, Sandy Chamber of Commerce, 1990
Teacher of the Year Eastmont Middle School 1986-87
Awards and exhibits date back more than thirty years. The past ten years include the following:
* Green Loft Works in Encaustic 2015
* Utah State Works on Paper Exhibit 2015
* 15 & 15 Work in Encaustic Exhibit 2014
* Art & Soup, Community Nursing Services, 2010-11-13
* Plates Fundraiser & Exhibition Art Access 2010-11-12-13
* Palmers Gallery, Monoprints by Marjorie Ann McClure 2008
* The Loge Gallery, Pioneer Memorial Theatre, University of Utah Pastels, 2008 * Patrick Moore Gallery, Group of Four, 2008
* The Landscape Art Show, Deseret Morning News. 2004-05-06-07.
* Salon des Refusee, Gallery 9. 2005
* Reunion, Bountiful/Davis Art Center, 2005
* Marian Dunn and Friends, 2004, 05, 06
*Cottonwood Club, 2003-2005
* Utah Arts Council, 2004
* Travels Abroad Art, 2003